Classic Stax Tracks

I thought it’d be fun to have a thread devoted to sharing some great old Stax Records music. There are so many fantastic hidden gems in that catalog among the well known classics. Here’s my first submission:

• Song You’re Taking Up Another Man’s Place
  • Artist Mable John
  • Release November 22, 1966 (Single)
  • Writers Isaac Hayes, David Porter

Aretha Franklin, Little Feat, and Etta James among others have recorded great versions of this song but for me, this Mable John version is the best.

• Song You Won’t Do Right
  • Artist Bobby Marchan
  • Release January, 1964 (B Side of That’s the Way It Goes)
  • Writers Bobby Marchan, Steve Cropper
  • Song I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down
  • Artist Sam & Dave
  • Release May 39, 1967 (B Side of Soothe Me)
  • Writers Homer Banks, Allen Jones

I didn’t know about the Sam and Dave version of this song until fairly recently. For years and years, I only knew the Elvis Costello version which was released as a single in 1980 and also appears on his album Get Happy!

The Sam and Dave version is so slow and groovy, it’s really remarkable that Costello took it in such a different direction. I adore both versions and wanted to spread this great B-side with everyone. Just as an extra treat, here’s Costello’s version.

• Song Fool In Love
  • Artist The Veltones
  • Release September, 1959
  • Writers Chips Moman, Jerry Arnold

This little doo-wop ditty was released on Satellite records which is what Stax was called until 1961. Two months after this single was released it was issued on Mercury records with the same B-side (Someday).

There’s not much online about this group and there’s another band called the Vel-Tones who are unrelated but definitely muddy up the research waters. This is a cool track, though, and a good example of the early days of Stax Records.